sábado, 2 de noviembre de 2013

SINCE EVERYBODY IS ASKING...

I think now it is the time for me to share with you some topics that most people ask me when they know I am in Chongqing : ITS FOOD.
And I will start from day one:
Eriy, the chinese girl who is in charge of the foreign teachers, was very thoughtful and left in our apartment a bottle of water and some cakes , similar to what we call in Mexico "submarinos marinela"... at about 11 am, someone knocked at my door, that someone was Alba, the mexican student who has been our guardian Angel since our arrival. She was with Ana, another mexican girl who had arrived there one month before our arrival. Both of them started to help us familiarize with our most immediate surroundings to meet our basic needs: they took us to a place known as "sunny block" a shopping mall (but we were not shopping) there,  we ate our first asiatic meal, and from then on, she gradually introduced us to the flavors of chinese food (very thoughtful of her too).
so check this !




My basic brekfast: I added the cookie I had saved from the plane, together with some  mints and salt and pepper...










My partner on this adventure (Joselyn) trying our fisrt Asian dish which in fact was Korean....not bad at all.







My first dish at one of the dinning areas in this university... don´t ask me about the name... Alba told us that if we liked the dish we just needed to say "compa" and point at the guy who prepared this dish.... according to Alba, that name was given by the previous mexican students who bapticed this man as "El compadre" (el compa).
This other dish was from other dinning hall for students here  on campus and it reminded me of the "dumplings" my chinese roommate used to cook when I was studying my masters degrees in Athens Ohio.... 
and the use of chopsticks? well she had shown me how to use them at that time so I had no problem in using them again! (although I know I use them my way and not the way chinese use them, but at least I can pick up the food with them jaja).

And just when I felt brave enough to order some food by myself.... I asked for a "dangerous" combination: This innocent looking dish has Lotus root (the light Brown chuncks) and slices of ginger (the one on the opposite side): Big mistake! these two flavors are very strong!still this inocent looking dish was not bad because of the steamed rice and the pumpking.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario